Here Goes Nothin'

Its funny really how often we just throw ourselves into something that we really have no idea how to do. The other day I was telling a friend about how I gained a starting spot on my highs school soccer team. Basically what happened was that the coach asked if anyone could throw the ball in from the sideline to the far post (that's the other side of the goal to all of you football loving, hot dog eating, soccer haters out there. Don't get me wrong I love football and hot dogs too, but I also love soccer. Anyway, the coach (who later went insane) noticed that the other team was leaving the man at the far post. If we could throw it in there on a throw in, that would be an easy goal. Well, being the over confident person I am I said, "I can do it." So the coach put me in the game and guess what? I could do it. We scored, I started the rest of the games until the coach went insane and benched me. We were promptly eliminated from the playoffs upon my benching.

Well, let me tell you, this baby thing is starting to feel like that half-time meeting we had on the soccer field. "Hey, I noticed there is a baby coming into the world, we need someone to be its father."

"I can do it."

I'm hoping that it turns out the same, except for the coach going crazy and benching me part. I keep telling myself that God has created me to be little baby Karoline's father and that he would not give me anything that I cannot handle. It might seem like I can't handle it but I can.

So many other things are like this too. We have to be willing to say, "I can do it" even if we don't know what it is. My sister and brother-in-law recently did this when God asked them to get into missions. (I hope they already told everyone important.) They don't know where or how, but they know that they can do it. What about you? What is God asking you to do? Don't just sit there like the rest of my soccer teammates did and stay on the bench the rest of the season. Say yes, say you can do it. Just like the scary cajun guy played by Rob Schneider said in the water boy and later by my friend Preston Bedsole every minute until you wanted to punch him. "You can do it."


|