An Historic Day


I know a lot of people who did not vote for Barack Obama. In fact most people I know did not and would openly criticize someone who did. In my line of work, it isn't advisable that I make my political opinions public. So I won't. But, yesterday was historic. As I sat and watched the inauguration I was brought close to the point of tears...notice I said close. As a white kid who grew up in Alabama, I've seen racism up close and been guilty of standing idly by, of allowing people to tear others down based on the color of their skin. I know what its like to live in a place where people think that flying the Confederate flag is "honoring our heritage." I live in a state who's statehouse flew the flag until recently. To see a non-white man become president is amazing. I remember listening to 2Pac in high school and wondering why "we ain't ready to see a black president," after listening to a line in one of his cuts that made that statement.
We have turned a corner. Many of us have set aside the foolishness of bigotry for the much more attractive hope. We aren't home yet. Until we look past the color of peoples' skin we will not be where we need to be. I believe the greatest tragedy we face right now is the discrimination and hate directed at people of Middle Eastern descent. For some reason that's okay. Jesus calls us to be above that. To love others more than we love ourselves.
Racism is alive and well as long as we still tell the jokes and we still subscribe to the stereotypes. But we're getting a little better everyday. We can make a difference by standing up for what is right. By speaking out when anyone, and I mean anyone faces injustice. I hope even if you don't like the politics of Obama, you appreciate the significance of today.


|